Monday, June 20, 2011

Community Service Day 1


Today was a really tiring day. I had to rush to school in fear of getting late but I made it just in time. We had community service in Cainta that day. I went into Bus 3 but was moved to Bus 4 beside Jennie and in the same bus with Sophie. My group was Mindanao 3. Sophie was very sociable, talking and gossiping with Tanay, Hailey and Danny. The bus stopped for about an hour in the middle of a road due to the other buses driver's violation of the traffic light and an accident.

I was in the same group as my cousin, Denise, Alex Tan, Jackie, Tina, Ashley Tan, the Veras, Hamish, Leleah, Emma Thackwray, Danny, Tanay, Leela, Amy, Marco and so on. The first activity we did was scraping tiles off so that the orphanage can replace the old tiles with new ones. It was very difficult to scrape them off, I tell you! One tile took my cousin and I about 20 minutes. I guess we picked the hard tiles though. Alex Tan was a beast! She could take one whole tile in 1 minute or so. And that is not a hyperbole. I bled in my left index finger.

Our second activity was after break when we fed some unfortunate people. At first I was not able to follow so I asked Mr Mandan, Mr Tibbits and Jessie for directions. Amy and Leela scooped the porridge and filled the bowls of the people with porridge. The people liked Amy better so they always went to her instead of Leela. The boys then played basketball with the children and the rest of us played tag. Jackie was the favorite of the kids. She ran after them in a funny way. By the time we had to leave, almost every kid was shouting out, "Bye Jackie!"

After lunch, we had to entertain the children left in the chapel. My cousin and I shared kids since there was a shortage of them. We colored, memorized animal flashcards, did some origami, maths and many more. That was the end of the day and when riding home through Bus 5, I was eavesdropping about the love life of certain people in our school, BSM.

Caitlin's leaving party came after. Here's a rant from Alysha, who also went to Caitlin's leaving party with Theya:

"OMG MAXINE! First of all, how could YOU of all people WEAR THAT SHIRT to Caitlin's Leaving Party;s leaving party. It was not only inappropriate, it was also very optimistic in a situation where you were not supposed to be optimistic as Caitlin was leaving. I mean, like, seriously, a shirt that says ,"I'M VERY VERY VERY HAPPY **heart shape**. Seriously Maxine, I am sure that we can all do better than that. Secondly, not swimming was absolutely horrifying as it was her leaving party and all you did was just sit there and watch us swim.

You didn't even help to take out the insects when we needed it most. I can say that you are very dependable. NOT. Thirdly, the cake you gave Caitlin said "HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD" instead of "GOODBYE CAITLIN, WE WILL MISS YOU" How could one get that confused with writing on a cake? Finally, the hug you gave Caitlin at the end was acted on only when requested.

In conclusion, all that I can say, is that I WAS JUST KIDDING ON THE ABOVE. I was bored, and I wanted to waste time (BOTH YOURS AND MINE). So yeah.LOL. This was Caitlin's idea."

It was the four of us. For preliminaries, Caitlin and I played ball games while Alysha and Theya chatted in the side. They swam while I read the Lost Hero by Rick Riordan. We all then ate some cheese pizza with coke and juice.

Tomorrow we will have to tutor some Grade 5-6 children. I'm so excited. It's gonna be fun.

2 comments: