Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Community Service Day 2


Hiya! Community service again today, did origami in the 2 hour bus ride to the Evangelical School of Cainta. I made a rat, attempted to make a bear and a flower but failed. My seatmate, Denise, read the Throne of Fire from her kindle. I am thinking of reading that book soon. We talked a bit about the Nicholas Flamel books and so on. When we arrived, stickers were handed out. They were similar to name tags for the tutoring sessions in the afternoon. Anyways, our schedule was to do some construction work (digging) in the morning until 10am, do feeding in some nearby village and lastly, tutor some Grade 5 to 6 students.


Construction work in the start was the worst. Hellish labor had to be done. Even if I did not do any digging or shoveling, I passed the sacks of gravel from one person to another in order to transport them to the top of the 4-storey building where it was needed. The sacks were absolutely heavy. High chances included some grains of gravel to stick to your hair, eyes, skin, face and arms. It was horrible. I was really tired in the first 5 minutes. I could not imagine how real construction workers can survive these ordeals everyday.When 10am came, everyone rejoiced. Obviously not a lot were used to this kind of menial work.


Feeding in a nearby village came next. The long bus ride took about 1 hour so we were able to chat a bit in our small groups. My group consisted of Ashley, Denise, Amy, Leela, some girl in Year 7 who was also in the Nature club (she asked me yesterday if I was Denise or Maxine), Emma Thackray and Ms. Battram. First, songs were sung, from A Whole New World in Aladdin to Friday by Rebecca Black. We shared stories, especially about a certain man whore in Year 7 and how he is liked by many and liked lots of girls of any age. Also, before FOBISSEA, he kissed his precious crush Marga while dating a girl in ISM. Ms Battram told us stories about her Year 10 days. Apparently she snuck out of her room with a friend out of a window from the 10th Floor while her teacher got hysterical when he found out. Dangerous, huh. Also, during her Year 11 days, they put a live sheep in a Welsh teacher's classroom and hid all the clocks of their school. In the feeding, I helped give out and transport the people's bowls for them to be filled with porrige. The first pair was Miguel and Kai, the second, Tina and Marco, the second, Tina and Ashley. It was short but memorable. We didnt finish the porridge.


Tutoring was unexpected. I thought we were supposed to help the kids with some homework such as Maths and English but instead we were faced with learned and fluent-in-English kids who just wanted to get to know people. Therefore we just exchanged information about ourselves. Then we played Ultimate Ninja (which I am so bad at) and Duck Duck Goose (same horribility as my skills in Ultimate Ninja). Kids took Jackie's email address and we all safely went back to school 15 minutes before the expected time (2.30pm).



Watched City Hunter, Ao no Exorcist, Gosick and Naruto Shippuden to catch up with the ones I missed these past few days since I was too busy. They were all EPIC.

No comments:

Post a Comment