Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Community Service Day 3

Same as before, we did the same sequence of events for community service.

First was construction work. We dug a SWIMMING POOL. Our group, Mindanao 3, was the first to actually start the digging. This time, all of us had to get a shovel or pick and dig like the Seven Dwarves of Snow White. Ms Battram wanted us to sing a song while digging but in the end we weren't singing anymore. She just sang "You guys are rubbish cause you're no longer singing." The soil was filled with rocks which made it even harder to dig deep into the soil.

Secondly, we did feeding again. This time, it was in a school---the San Juan School. A long ride prior the feeding was experienced and so I took the time to sleep for a bit. Since it was a school this time, the kids were very much more clean and civilized. The school even made a song about San Juan using the tune and some of the lyrics of Jingle Bell Rock. They lined up for the porridge while the other people who were not feeding had to socialize with the kids. The first pair to feed was two people who I have forgotten, followed by Danny and Tanay then my cousin and I fed the kids. We finished the whole container filled with porridge. I heard from one of the teachers that the day before's feeders (Visayas 3) were not able to finish their porridge because of time confusion. When we left, the children were following us all the way to our bus. By the time we were all seated in the bus and the bus started moving, they ran with our bus. Then they were making the middle fingers at Marco since he looked like Justin Bieber and Hamish, the boy's guy.

During lunch, Caitlin was with her friend from the Jesus Christ Catholic School (CCS) while Fuh Meei and I played Slap. A boy named JP (John Philip) watched us while playing when Caitlin came to find us. He said he knew how to play and Caitlin took my place while Fuh Meei arranged the cards for a 3-player Slap game. The boy won. He's a genius for learning how to play so easily. Fuh Meei won next then the boy won again. He then made some magic tricks that confounded us. He was able to guess the card we picked from a deck of cards he would show us. He was also very fluent in English. The card tricks, according to him came from Facebook.

Thirdly was tutoring again where I read to Antonette Gonzales. She was the girl I took care of with my cousin in the first day. She immediately recognized me and made me read Rapunzel to her. After we read an animal book, Dora and numbers book. I played tag with her on the way back and waved goodbye.

Sports and Creative Arts Dinner from 6:30pm to 8:30pm occurred. Caitlin and I were in Table 15. We talked. It was her last day today. Unfortunately, we were grouped with 9WT people. It was awkward. The food was so little that I wanted more by the time dessert finished. It was a great but tiring day overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment